A few hours ago was the event where Elon Musk announced the news of the project Neuralink. Then, in addition to leaving you the video in case you did not see live streaming, we summarize the most important point by point.
In the immediate:
- The implant that enables the brain-machine interface measures a mere 23 mm by 8 mm, has 1,024 5-micron-thick electrodes, and goes directly into the superior cranial cortex.
- Aesthetically it will not be noticeable, since it is located under the skin.
- The surgery to implant it is carried out by a robot, lasts less than an hour, without the need for anesthesia and with discharge on the same day. The process will also avoid touching blood vessels, so not a single drop of blood will be shed during implantation.
- The implant is removable, replaceable and upgradeable.
- The battery lasts all day and can be recharged at night wirelessly.
- Its wireless range is currently 5 to 10 meters.
- It can be managed and monitored with an application installed on your mobile device. All information is encrypted with high security standards.
- Although it will be expensive at first, according to Musk the idea is to make it accessible to everyone as quickly as possible, calculating a cost of only a few hundred dollars with the operation included.
- In its medical applications, this device will allow to solve problems that involve the brain and the spine, such as: memory loss, hearing loss, blindness, paralysis, depression, insomnia, extreme pain, seizures, anxiety, addictions and brain damage.
Musk’s answer to the killer robot hordes dilemma: unleashing an army of hyper-intelligent swine to defend the human race. #Neuralink https://t.co/czp2DWbgJG— Christiaan Hetzner (@christiaanhtznr) August 28, 2020
Trying to watch the Neuralink video, and the only thing I can understand is that it makes the pigs beep. ?
All I want is to transfer my consciousness into a robot body. ? pic.twitter.com/8htVkfXvHq— Derek (@Goufunaki) August 29, 2020
In the near future:
- You will be able to call and command your Tesla car telepathically.
- You can play video games and control other software and hardware just by thinking.
- You can record, download, play and make backup of your memories in style Black Mirror.
- Elon Musk spoke of “consensual telepathy,” a type of telepathy where the user of Neuralink You must give your consent first before someone else can transmit something to you.
- You will be able to listen to music directly in the brain.
- Vision improvements, superhuman vision.
- It can be used to understand and explain what consciousness is.
As Musk said, “the future is a strange place”, where human intelligence will have “a symbiosis with artificial intelligence.”